The Senior Data Center Engineer role is a mission-critical responsibility that requires combined expertise in hardware, logistics, project management and some software skills. This individual will maintain ownership over our data center-based infrastructure, tasked with all aspects of keeping it up and operating in an optimal and reliable manner. Our client operates data centers in Secaucus and Somerset, NJ and six colocation sites in US and Canada near financial exchanges. The client's corporate headquarters is in New York and has seven regional offices in North America.
The data center support team provides support to internal technology teams and clients co-located with Instinet. The Senior Data Center Engineer performs hardware installation and troubleshoots existing hardware. The engineer provides updates on projects in weekly meetings using Jira ticketing tools, coordinates activities, and manages data center facilities and cross connects. The engineer creates and uses documentation in Confluence to establish common operational practices globally. The engineer will champion the use of Jira Service Desk through ticketing for incidents, workflow ticketing, generating reports. Additionally, the team will use Jira Software Projects to manage and coordinate project work and deployments.
Senior Data Center Engineer Role Requirements:
• This individual must be a self-starter with a high degree of personal accountability and ownership
• Being a problem-solver and fast-on-your-feet is a great advantage; prior data center management experience is preferred
• Primary role is to support operations and maintain all hardware in our data centers. This would include all infrastructure cabling, server hardware, network equipment, tape libraries, along with trouble shooting skills.
• Should be familiar with network equipment installation and hardware builds installing Windows and Linux systems through imaging.
• Experience with installing FPGA cards into servers is an advantage
• Must be able to maintain good clear inventory records, rack elevations, and power consumption
• Ability to manage remote hands for offices we do not staff directly using Jira to track hours.
• This person will regularly audit access to corporate offices, data centers and co-location sites.
• Respond to user escalations in a timely manner providing excellent customer service
• Ability to create clear documentation and communicate effectively with various stakeholders, specifically using JIRA and other workflow tools
• Role requires routine travel to our multiple colocation sites and occasion travel to remote office in the US or Canada.
• This Senior Engineer will balance a flexible schedule of hours (including occasional overtime when required) to meet operational needs or project requirements, and maintain team coverage.
• Vendor and building management skills, especially experience with HVAC, electrical and structured cabling, a plus
• Due to our wide area of coverage a car is a necessity along with flexible work schedule as our teams support window changes from time to time as needed.
• Will include driving to approximately six locations in New Jersey with some frequency.