As a senior Java developer in the Crossing Technology team, main responsibility is to develop, maintain, and improve the performance of client's Crossing Systems including (but not limited to) Instinet BlockMatch MTF and CBX crossing applications, as well as contributing to the vision and technical direction of client's common Core trading systems.
- Work with business stakeholders to elicit and analyze requirements for new and existing crossing applications.
- Collaborate with senior Instinet architects to design software that fits the needs of a business-critical trading system.
- Make performance and latency improvement to client's crossing systems following performance engineering best practices
- Take ownership for the entire software lifecycle of a development project from design, implementation, to production.
- Implement solutions in accordance with Instinet software standards, support and deliver high quality software to QA and UAT stakeholders.
- Work with deployment and Change Management functions to smoothly integrate changes into the production environment.
- Engage in peer-review of colleagues’ software as appropriate to strengthen quality across the group
- Provide timely 2nd level support for trading system software in the production environment (predominantly US market hours with best-efforts coverage at other times, and occasional weekend/holiday working.)
- Produce good quality technical documentation and How-Tos to encourage cross-training
- Provide mentorship and technical guidance to junior members in the team
Key objectives critical to success in this role:
- Working knowledge of equities trading systems preferably in crossing/matching engines
- Proficient in FIX protocol trading workflows from the venue/exchange perspective
- Experience in developing high volume, low-latency trading systems in Java with knowledge in performance running, profiling, and monitoring
- Knowledge in performance engineering methods and techniques
- Background in various source code version control systems such as SVN and GIT
- Experience working in a fast pace environment supporting mission critical systems
- Familiarity with a variety of designs and methodologies (e.g. Agile and Scrum, Microservices, distributed systems, messaging)
- Strong core Java skills (5+ years relevant professional experience), Perl or Python
- Good knowledge of SQL, Linux, and networking skills
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related engineering fields
- Proven track record of delivering quality technology
- Knowledge of US equity market structures and cash equities